To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is email@example.com. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
The Political Gabfest is brought to you by Stamps.com. Buy and print official U.S. postage using your own computer and printer. Sign up for Stamps.com and get a four-week trial and a $110 bonus offer when you use promo code gabfest.
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment the hosts discuss the Ammon Bundy not guilty verdict. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss the state of the race, FBI Director James Comey’s letter, and how to cope with election stress.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- The most recent Washington Post/ABC tracking poll finds Donald Trump now edges Hillary Clinton on trustworthiness
- Roger Stone and other Trump backers are talking about going into Democratic areas to intimidate people into not voting
- White nationalists are plotting to make an Election Day show of force
- Dave Weigel in the Washington Post: “House Republicans are already preparing for ‘years’ of investigations of Clinton”
- Atlas Obscura has dubbed this “Panic Week”
Emily chatters about the Supreme Court taking up a case on bathroom rules for transgender students.
John chatters about his upcoming stint on the Year of Great Books Slate Academy.
David chatters about the crazy presidential downfall in Korea.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Kevin Townsend.