Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest! The email address for the Political Gabfest is email@example.com. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
The Slate Political Gabfest is brought to you by Stamps.com. Buy and print official U.S. postage using your own computer and printer, and save up to 50 percent compared to a postage meter. Sign up for Stamps.com and get a four-week trial and a $110 bonus offer when you use the promo code GABFEST.
And by Harry's, the shaving company that offers German-engineered blades, well-designed handles, and shipping right to your door. Visit Harrys.com for $5 off your first purchase with the promo code GABFEST.
And by Audible.com, with more than 180,000 audiobooks and spoken-word audio products. Get a free 30-day trial and a free audiobook at Audible.com/gabfest.
To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, the hosts discuss the obsession over Clarence Thomas’ speaking up during oral arguments this week. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at www.slate.com/gabfestplus.
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, David Plotz, and John Dickerson discuss Donald Trump’s seemingly inevitable nomination, what Hillary Clinton can do about it, and SCOTUS’ hearing of oral arguments in Whole Woman’s Health v. Cole—the court’s most significant abortion case since Planned Parenthood v. Casey.
Here are some of the links and references mentioned during this week’s show:
- Does Trump have the nomination locked in?
- Will anti-Trump forces effectively coalesce? How can they take down Trump?
- Will a third party develop from within the Republican Party? Can our system even accommodate three parties?
- Has Hillary Clinton secured her nomination? How can/will she effectively campaign against Trump?
- Will it be unlike any presidential campaign we’ve ever seen before?
- How much of a problem is it for Hillary that turnout is down among the Democrats?
- Does Trump have a strategy? Will he be able to focus long enough for a general election?
- Have pro-lifers successfully crafted a rhetoric claiming they are benefiting “women’s health”?
Emily chatters about recent attention on the KKK after Trump’s non-disavowal disavowal and reflects on the insidious history of the organization’s rise.
John chatters about a sheep-filled prank during the 1976 presidential race.
David’s chatter includes a reading of an amusing Washington Post piece on Chris Christie’s “screaming eyes,” as observed during Donald Trump’s Super Tuesday conference speech.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Elle Bisgaard-Church.