To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
Our San Francisco shows are sold out, but some tickets may be available at the door for the conundrums show.
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss why healthcare.gov has been a disaster, whether Twitter accounts like @Natsecwonk contribute to free speech, and what Maryland gubernatorial candidate Doug Gansler should have done about a house full of drunk teenagers.
- Here are some of the links and references mentioned during this week's show:
- Federal officials didn't fully test healthcare.gov until two weeks before it opened.
- Before the Obamacare website was up and running, John wrote about how much was riding on its functionality.
- The government's software development model is outdated.
- Jofi Joseph was fired from his White House job for tweeting as @natsecwonk.
- Maryland gubernatorial candidate Doug Gansler visited his son at a party where teens were drinking but didn't intervene. He now says he made a mistake.
Emily chatters about the play Arguendo.
John chatters about Gerald Ford's entry to politics as a Republican primary challenger.
David chatters about a man determined to bury his wife in his front yard.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Mike Vuolo. Links compiled by Rebecca Cohen.
TODAY IN SLATE
Justice Ginsburg’s Crucial Dissent in the Texas Voter ID Case
The Jarring Experience of Watching White Americans Speak Frankly About Race
How Facebook’s New Feature Could Come in Handy During a Disaster
The Most Ingenious Teaching Device Ever Invented
Sprawl, Decadence, and Environmental Ruin in Nevada
You Should Be Able to Sell Your Kidney
Or at least trade it for something.
- Texas Lab Worker on Cruise Tests Negative for Ebola as Dallas Hospital Apologizes
- Police Use Tear Gas to Break Up College Pumpkin Festival Turned Violent
- Racist Rancher Cliven Bundy Challenges Eric Holder in Bizarre Campaign Ad
- Supreme Court Allows Texas Law That Accepts Handgun Permits but not College IDs to Vote
An All-Female Mission to Mars
As a NASA guinea pig, I verified that women would be cheaper to launch than men.