To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss the challenges of questioning and prosecuting Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and the handling of terror suspects since 9/11. They also assess fresh critiques of President Obama’s inability to negotiate with Congress, and they discuss the complexities that confront Colorado as it tries to regulate its new marijuana industry.
Here are some of the links and references mentioned during this week's show:
- Read all of Slate’s continuing coverage of the Boston Marathon bombing.
- Emily wrote about the Justice Department’s expansion of the “public safety exception.” She also argued that the FBI questioned Dzhokhar Tsarnaev for too long before informing him of his Miranda rights.
- Yale law professor Akhil Reed Amar, writing in Slate, argues that the Supreme Court should allow “the admission of all evidence gathered as a result of a civilized compulsory interrogation.”
- David mentions a piece in New York Magazine that details some dark political strategies employed by an Orthodox Jewish majority in an upstate New York community.
- John wrote that the type of president who could cajole the Senate to support gun control would never have been elected in the first place.
- Maureen Dowd wrote that, “The president said the Newtown families deserved a vote. But he was setting his sights too low. They deserved a law.”
- Colorado Matters, a program of Colorado Public Radio, recently aired a segment that compared Washington and Colorado’s respective approaches to regulating their nascent marijuana markets.
- The New York Times also published an overview of some of Colorado’s regulatory decisions.
- Emily mentions Benjamin Leff’s creative tax advice for marijuana growers.
Emily chatters about the way the cookie crumbles.
John chatters about a postcard about Gertrude Stein.
David chatters about 100% Men.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Mike Vuolo. Links compiled by Jeff Friedrich.
TODAY IN SLATE
More Than Scottish Pride
What Charles Barkley Gets Wrong About Corporal Punishment and Black Culture
Why Greenland’s “Dark Snow” Should Worry You
If You’re Outraged by the NFL, Follow This Satirical Blowhard on Twitter
The Best Way to Organize Your Fridge
The GOP’s Focus on Fake Problems
Giving Up on Goodell
How the NFL lost the trust of its most loyal reporters.