Live Event: Washington, D.C., Feb. 27, at Sixth and I. Emily talks about her new book, Sticks and Stones, with Russell Shaw, head of school at Georgetown Day School. Tickets and additional information.
Live Simulcast at our New York Gabfest: New York, Mar. 21, at 92Y. Tickets for the main hall are sold out, but you can still attend a live simulcast at 92Y! Participate in the audience Q&A, meet John, Emily, and David, and attend Emily’s book signing! Tickets and additional information.
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, John Dickerson, Emily Bazelon, and David Plotz discuss the standoff over the impending sequestration cuts, and the Supreme Court’s review of a challenge to campaign contribution limits. Plus, they talk about a White House press corps that is grumpy about their access to the president.
Here are some of the links and references mentioned during this week's show:
- Check out Emily’s recent appearances on The Colbert Report, Fresh Air, and Morning Joe. See a full list of Emily’s upcoming appearances on her website.
- Absolutely everything you need to know about the sequester, at Wonkblog.
- Via John, the GOP’s plan to replace the sequester, and the president’s.
- Emily cites Paul Krugman’s continuing argument that now is not the time to rein in spending.
- Emily mentions a poll by the Hill showing that most Americans do not know what the sequester is.
- John cites a USA Today/Pew Research Center poll showing that most Americans favor Obama’s approach to the deficit and the sequester.
- The New York Times reports on the Supreme Court challenge to aggregate individual campaign contribution limits.
- Do we need the White House press corps? Dave Weigel gives his take.
Emily chatters about Shane Koyczan’s “To This Day” project.
John chatters about a dolphin superpod.
David chatters about putting his feet up on the desk.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Mike Vuolo. Links compiled by Jeff Friedrich.
TODAY IN SLATE
Don’t Worry, Obama Isn’t Sending U.S. Troops to Fight ISIS
But the next president might.
The Extraordinary Amicus Brief That Attempts to Explain the Wu-Tang Clan to the Supreme Court Justices
Amazon Is Officially a Gadget Company. Here Are Its Six New Devices.
The Human Need to Find Connections in Everything
It’s the source of creativity and delusions. It can harm us more than it helps us.
How Much Should You Loathe NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell?
Here are the facts.
The Plight of the Pre-Legalization Marijuana Offender
What should happen to weed users and dealers busted before the stuff was legal?