To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, David Plotz, Emily Bazelon, and Slate political editor Will Dobson discuss Mitt Romney’s European adventure, Ted Cruz’s win in Texas, and the Chick-fil-A controversy.
Here are some of the links and references mentioned during this week's show:
- David will interview—or interrogate—his wife, “DoubleX” co-founder Hanna Rosin, about her new book, The End of Men, on Sept. 11 in Washington (tickets here) and on Sept. 12 in New York (more details here).
- The Gabfesters talk about Romney’s travel itinerary: Great Britain, Israel, and … Poland? The Atlantic’s Molly Ball has more on why Poland was included.
- Emily says that polling shows most Americans support President Obama’s handling of foreign policy, and Will says that Poles—and most other Europeans—would probably vote for Obama. Fareed Zakaria summarizes the data for both assertions.
- Will discusses Romney’s op-ed in the National Review on his culture remarks.
- Emily mentions a response to Romney from Jared Diamond in a New York Times op-ed.
- David talks about Harry Reid’s comments to the Huffington Post about Romney’s taxes.
- Will and David talk about research on political polarization in Congress; Voteview.com is a good start for more info.
- Some of the recent remarks by the president of Chick-fil-A, Dan Cathy, can be found in this interview with the Biblical Recorder.
David chatters about the upcoming live show in Seattle on Oct. 4. He also describes a recent trip to the National Archives, where he saw a pardon note written by President Lincoln.
Emily chatters about her summer reading pick, Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn.
Will chatters about Al-Jazeera’s tool for tracking Syria’s defections.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest.
The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Dale Willman. Links compiled by Jeff Friedrich.
TODAY IN SLATE
The End of Pregnancy
And the inevitable rise of the artificial womb.
Doctor Tests Positive for Ebola in New York City
How a Company You’ve Never Heard of Took Control of the Entire Porn Industry
The Hot New Strategy for Desperate Democrats
Blame China for everything.
The Questions That Michael Brown’s Autopsies Can’t Answer
Kiev Used to Be an Easygoing Place
Now it’s descending into madness.
Don’t Just Sit There
How to be more productive during your commute.