Become a fan of DoubleX on Facebook. Leave us love letters and see what other listeners are saying about the Gabfest.
Listen to the DoubleX Gabfest by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Be a part of the next podcast! Tell us what we should cover, your favorite story from the year, and ask us questions by calling 424-255-7833. Your message might appear on next week’s Gabfest.
In this week’s Gabfest, DoubleX editor Hanna Rosin joins Outward editor June Thomas and New Republic staff writer Noreen Malone to discuss the new GM CEO, violent girls in literature, and more of your questions.
Other items discussed in the show:
- Geoff Colvin at CNN Money interviews Noel Tichy, who says GM may be setting new CEO Mary Barra up to fail.
- Sometimes-Slate-ster Jessica Grose in Elle is heartened by Barra’s appointment because GM is doing pretty well.
- Libby Copeland in Slate thinks the car industry’s history of marketing to women is lame.
- The trailer for the violent Divergent film out next year starring Shailene Woodley as the gun-wielding female heroine.
- Relax like June by making your own artist trading cards.
- Arianna Huffington touts her Third Metric strategy for relaxation and being more efficient.
- Hanna discussed in DoubleX what it felt like to be “off the clock” as a mom on a recent trip to Australia.
June recommends Josh Levin’s recent Slate story about the real life of Linda Taylor, Ronald Reagan’s “welfare queen.” When you’re done with that, head to the New Republic for Laura Bennett’s brave investigation of Bloomberg View.
Hanna sends you to the 99% Invisible podcast for their show on Jon Mooallem’s book Wild Ones and musical accompaniment from the band Black Prairie.
Noreen has been watching Trophy Wife on ABC, and she and June both think it’s appropriate for holiday marathoning.
Loyal fans of Slate’s DoubleX, please remember to like us on our Facebook page. Tell us what we should cover in the next edition.
TODAY IN SLATE
Don’t Worry, Obama Isn’t Sending U.S. Troops to Fight ISIS
But the next president might.
IOS 8 Comes Out Today. Do Not Put It on Your iPhone 4S.
Why Greenland’s “Dark Snow” Should Worry You
How Much Should You Loathe NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell?
Here are the facts.
Three Talented Actresses in Three Terrible New Shows
The Human Need to Find Connections in Everything
It’s the source of creativity and delusions. It can harm us more than it helps us.
- German Fraud Investigator Says Anonymous Client Will Pay $30 Million for Info on MH17 Shootdown
- A Brief Reminder That Not Everything in the World is Terrible
- How Many Countries Were Created Through Secession Votes?
- Gun-Control Group Investigates 81 People Looking for Guns Online, Finds Eight Have Criminal Records