Become a fan of DoubleX on Facebook. Leave us love letters and see what other listeners are saying about the Gabfest.
Listen to the DoubleX Gabfest with this audio player, or by using one of the other options below:
In this week’s Gabfest, DoubleX editor Hanna Rosin joins New Republic staff writer Noreen Malone and DoubleX managing editor Allison Benedikt to discuss the challenges of older parenthood, gender-neutral toys, and the sustaining tradition that says men are responsible for all marriage proposals.
Other items discussed in the show:
- Judith Shulevitz’s New Republic article, “How Older Parenthood Will Upend American Society” and Allison Benedikt’s response.
- Tracie Egan Morrissey’s anti-children diatribe.
- Dan Kois’ Slate post, “When It Comes to Holiday Toy Shopping, Dads Are the New Moms.”
- Peggy Orenstein’s New York Times piece, “Should the World of Toys Be Gender-Free?”
- Allison Benedikt’s review of John Schwartz’s memoir, “Oddly Normal: One Family’s Struggle To Help Their Teenage Son Come to Terms With His Sexuality.”
- Amanda Marcotte’s take on why men still think it’s their job to propose to women, and why women agree.
Noreen Malone suggests Amy Sohn’s satirical novel, Prospect Park West.
Hanna Rosin recommends the New Yorker food issue profile of French bakery scion Apollonia Poilâne.
Allison Benedikt endorses another New Yorker piece, Rachel Aviv’s look at gay, homeless, young people in New York City.
Loyal fans of Slate’s DoubleX, please remember to like us on our Facebook page.
TODAY IN SLATE
Here’s Where We Stand With Ebola
Even experienced international disaster responders are shocked at how bad it’s gotten.
Why Are Lighter-Skinned Latinos and Asians More Likely to Vote Republican?
A Woman Who Escaped the Extreme Babymaking Christian Fundamentalism of Quiverfull
Subprime Loans Are Back
And believe it or not, that’s a good thing.
It Is Very Stupid to Compare Hope Solo to Ray Rice
In Defense of HR
Startups and small businesses shouldn’t skip over a human resources department.