Become a fan of DoubleX on Facebook. Leave us love letters and see what other listeners are saying about the Gabfest.
Listen to the DoubleX Gabfest with this audio player, or by using one of the other options below:
In this week’s Gabfest, DoubleX editor Hanna Rosin joins New Republic staff writer Noreen Malone and DoubleX managing editor Allison Benedikt to discuss the Todd Akin rape controversy and its impact for the GOP; Paul Ryan—hot or not?; and whether we care that Augusta National has finally, in 2012, let in two female members.
Other items discussed in the show:
- Irin Carmon’s Salon commentary, “Rape Exceptions Aren’t Legitimate.”
- Amanda Marcotte on evidence that rape exceptions also don’t work.
- Shauna Prewitt’s moving essay about getting pregnant from rape and keeping the baby.
- Hanna Rosin’s reaction to Prewitt’s essay.
- Paul Ryan, shirtless, on TMZ.
- Paul Ryan’s guns on Real Clear Politics.
- Noreen Malone’s New Republic post, “In Defense of Paul Ryan’s Ill-Fitting Clothing.”
- Katy Waldman’s "XXfactor" post defending Condi Rice and Darla Moore’s decision to accept Augusta membership.
Hanna Rosin says that your last summer read should be Maggie Shipstead’s Seating Arrangements.
Noreen Malone seconds Hanna’s recommendation but also suggests you squeeze in an additional beach read: J. Courtney Sullivan’s Maine.
Allison Benedikt wants you to check out the Berkshires’ Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival.
All Gabfest listeners: Please vote for our proposed SXSW panel on the changing rules for women and sex on TV. Vote early and often here! Voting ends Aug. 31, so do it NOW.
TODAY IN SLATE
Blacks Don’t Have a Corporal Punishment Problem
Americans do. But when blacks exhibit the same behaviors as others, it becomes part of a greater black pathology.
I Bought the Huge iPhone. I’m Already Thinking of Returning It.
Scotland Is Just the Beginning. Expect More Political Earthquakes in Europe.
Students Aren’t Going to College Football Games as Much Anymore
And schools are getting worried.
Two Damn Good, Very Different Movies About Soldiers Returning From War
Lifetime Didn’t Think the Steubenville Rape Case Was Dramatic Enough
So they added a little self-immolation.
The Most Terrifying Thing About Ebola
The disease threatens humanity by preying on humanity.