Listen to the DoubleX Gabfest by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
On this week’s Gabfest, Slate’s Hanna Rosin and June Thomas join New York editor Noreen Malone to talk about what it means to be asexual, Rihanna’s music video for “Bitch Better Have My Money” and other prefatory uses of bitch, and the 1939 film The Women.
Other items discussed in the show:
- “Asexual and Happy” by Kim Kaletsky in the New York Times
- “Young, Attractive, and Totally Not Into Having Sex” by Kat McGowan on Wired
- “Meeting and Understanding the Asexual Community” by Mark Carrigan and Holly Falconer on Vice
- Dan Savage’s column on asexuality
- Rihanna’s “Bitch Better Have My Money” music video
- Katy Waldman on the prefatory bitch in Slate
- Lady Gaga’s music video for “Telephone,” featuring Beyoncé
- The Women (1939)
- A Time to Be Born by Dawn Powell
June recommends Lifetime’s Unreal, created by Sarah Gertrude Shapiro and Marti Noxon.
Hanna recommends You Are You by Lindsay Morris and Jennifer Finney Boylan.
Noreen recommends Magic Mike XXL.
Outro: “The Bitch Is Back” by Elton John
This podcast was produced by Ann Heppermann. Our intern is Jessie Chasan-Taber.