Listen to Culture Gabfest No. 388 with Stephen Metcalf, Dana Stevens, and Julia Turner
And join the lively conversation on the Culturefest Facebook page here:
Go to slate.com/cultureplus to learn more about Slate Plus and join today.
This week on Slate Plus, Julia and Dana make Steve talk about fashion at the Oscars.
On this week’s Slate Culture Gabfest, the gabbers discuss the Oscars. How did Chris Rock fare as a host? Next up, the gabbers weigh in on a think piece feud about whether small talk is a social evil or a social lubricant. Should we all be striving to make “big talk”? Finally, we take a field trip to the Gagosian gallery to interview photographer Gregory Crewdson about his new body of work, Cathedral of the Pines.
Here are the images we discussed:
Links to some of the things we discussed this week follow:
- Best Picture winner, Spotlight
- Willa Paskin’s review of Chris Rock’s Oscars performance in Slate
- Chris Rock’s opening monologue from the 2016 Oscars
- Public Enemy’s “Fight the Power”
- Do the Right Thing
- Lady Gaga’s performance of “ ’Til It Happens to You”
- Brie Larson’s acceptance speech
- Sam Smith’s performance of “Writing’s on the Wall”
- Ruth Graham’s piece on Slate about the crowd’s reaction to Jenny Beavan’s Oscar win
- Tim Boomer’s “The End of Small Talk” in the New York Times
- Ruth Graham’s “In Defense of Small Talk” in Slate
- The Wings of Desire
- The Wings of a Dove
- Gregory Crewdson’s Cathedral of the Pines
- “Rooms With a View,” the show at the Metropolitan Museum of Art that inspired Crewdson’s work
- The movie It Follows
- The documentary about Crewdson’s work Brief Encounters
- The book Cathedral of the Pines, published by Aperture
- Gregory Crewdson’s Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter accounts where you can see behind-the-scenes shots on his photo sets
The Slate Culture Gabfest is brought to you by Carbonite. Keep your digital files safe this year—protect your photos, music, and documents with automatic cloud backup from Carbonite. Try it free without a credit card at Carbonite.com, and use the offer code CULTURE to get two free bonus months if you decide to buy.
And by Warby Parker, a new concept in eyewear. Warby Parker makes buying glasses online easy, risk-free and most of all, enjoyable. Visit Warbyparker.com/cultural to being your free home try-on experience today.
And by Audible.com, with more than 180,000 audiobooks and spoken-word audio products. Get a free 30-day trial and a free audiobook at Audible.com/culture.
Steve: Martha, Marcy, May, Marlene
Outro: Pet Shop Boys “Requiem in Denim and Leopardskin”
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This podcast was produced by Ann Heppermann. Our intern is Lindsey Albracht.