Listen to Culture Gabfest No. 273 with Stephen Metcalf, Dana Stevens, and Julia Turner with the audio player below.
And join the lively conversation on the Culturefest Facebook page here:
The sponsors of this week’s show are Adult Swim and Stamps.com. Watch Rick and Morty on Monday nights at 10:30 p.m. on Adult Swim. Go to Stamps.com and use the promo code “CULTUREFEST” for your no-risk free trial and bonus offer.
Culturefest is on the radio! “Gabfest Radio” combines Slate’s Culture and Political Gabfests in one show—listen on Saturdays at 7 a.m. and Sundays at 6 p.m. on WNYC’s AM820.
On this week’s episode, the critics discuss Inside Llewyn Davis, a new film from Ethan and Joel Coen, set in the Greenwich Village folk music scene of the early 1960s. With help from Carl Wilson, Slate’s music critic, the gabbers discuss the film’s soulful soundtrack and ambiguous relationship to both misanthropy and satire. Next, inspired by Tom Scocca’s anti-smarm polemic on Gawker, the critics discuss the threat of “smarm”: What distinguishes it from “snark,” and which is more toxic? Finally, the critics talk to Amelia Peck, chief curator of “The Interwoven Globe,” an exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art that explores the 16th- to 19th-century textile trade to redefine globalization in pre-Internet terms.
Links to some of the things we discussed this week follow:
- Dana’s review of Inside Llewyn Davis on Slate
- The original soundtrack to Inside Llewyn Davis
- O Brother, Where Art Thou directed by Joel and Ethan Coen
- The Big Lebowski directed by Joel and Ethan Coen
- “On Smarm” by Tom Scocca on Gawker
- Snark: It’s Mean, It’s Personal, and It’s Ruining Our Conversation by David Denby
- Heidi Julavits’ book-review manifesto on The Believer
- “Interwoven Globe: The Worldwide Textile Trade, 1500–1800” at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
Steve: Sucking on Altoids while chopping onions
You can email us at email@example.com.
This podcast was produced by Chris Wade. Our intern is Anna Shechtman.
TODAY IN SLATE
Forget Oculus Rift
This $25 cardboard box turns your phone into an incredibly fun virtual reality experience.
The Congressional Republican Digging Through Scientists’ Grant Proposals
Renée Zellweger's New Face Is Too Real
Sleater-Kinney Was Once America’s Best Rock Band
Can it be again?
Whole Foods Is Desperate for Customers to Feel Warm and Fuzzy Again
I’m 25. I Have $250.03.
My doctors want me to freeze my eggs.
- NSA Is Letting its Chief Technical Officer Work 20 Hours a Week for a Private Company
- After 13 Years of U.S. Occupation, Afghanistan Opium Production Is at an All-Time High
- The Pennsylvania Fugitive Sniper Is Still at Large After 39 Days
- Oscar Pistorius Sentenced to Five Years, May Only Serve Ten Months
Smash and Grab
Will competitive Senate contests in Kansas and South Dakota lead to more late-breaking races in future elections?