Listen to Culture Gabfest No. 219 with Stephen Metcalf, Dana Stevens, Seth Stevenson, and Julia Turner by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
And join the lively conversation on the Culturefest Facebook page here:
The sponsors of today’s show are Stamps.com and Audible.com. Go to Stamps.com and use the promo code “CULTUREFEST” for your no-risk free trial and bonus offer. Get a free audiobook from Audible’s collection of more than 100,000 titles and a subscription to a daily audio digest when you sign up for a 30-day free trial at www.audiblepodcast.com/culturefest.
Culturefest is on the radio! “Gabfest Radio” combines Slate’s Culture and Political Gabfests in one show—listen on Saturdays at 7 a.m. and Sundays at 6 p.m. on WNYC’s AM820.
On this week’s Culture Gabfest, our critics discuss Lindsay Lohan as Elizabeth Taylor in the Lifetime film Liz & Dick, Slate’s Seth Stevenson drops by to discuss his piece on the Web-video montages known as supercuts, and the hosts debate whether the photo sharing app Snapchat is a tool for teenage vice or a harmless waste of time.
Here are some links to the things we discussed this week:
- Reviews and commentary on Liz & Dick from the New York Times, Slate, and Buzzfeed.
- The forthcoming Scorcese film on Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton.
- Furious Love, the book on which Liz & Dick was based.
- Seth Stevenson’s piece on supercuts.
- The Video Remix ”Supercut” Comes of Age by Andy Baio (Wired, 11/1/11).
- “Telephones” by Christian Marclay (1995).
- Five of the best supercuts on YouTube by David Holmes (Daily Dot, 7/3/12).
- Supercut.org: Home of the Obsessive Video Montage.
- The Real Problem With the iPhone Sexting App by Katie Heaney.
- Does Snapchat offer safe sexting from smartphones, or a false sense of security? by Graham Cluley.
Dana’s pick: The new Slate blog of historical treasures and oddities, The Vault.
Julia’s pick: An iPhone game called Flow.
Stephen’s pick: The poem “First Sight” by Philip Larkin.
Outro: “Roly Poly” by Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys
You can email us at email@example.com.
This podcast was produced by Dan Pashman. Our intern is Sally Tamarkin.