Or else ...
- What the House of Saud holds dear can be targeted:
—Oil: the old fields are defended by U.S. forces, and located in a mostly Shiite area
—Money: the Kingdom is in dire financial straits, its valuable assets invested in dollars, largely in the U.S.
—The Holy Places: let it be known that alternatives are being canvassed
- The Saudis are hated throughout the Arab world: lazy, overbearing, dishonest, corrupt
- If truly moderate regimes arise, the Wahhabi-Saudi nexus is pushed back into its extremist corner
- The Hashemites have greater legitimacy as Guardians of Mecca and Medina
Grand strategy for the Middle
• Iraq is the tactical pivot
• Saudi Arabia the strategic pivot
• Egypt the prize
TODAY IN SLATE
The Democrats’ War at Home
How can the president’s party defend itself from the president’s foreign policy blunders?
Congress’ Public Shaming of the Secret Service Was Political Grandstanding at Its Best
Michigan’s Tradition of Football “Toughness” Needs to Go—Starting With Coach Hoke
A Plentiful, Renewable Resource That America Keeps Overlooking
Windows 8 Was So Bad That Microsoft Will Skip Straight to Windows 10
Cringing. Ducking. Mumbling.
How GOP candidates react whenever someone brings up reproductive rights or gay marriage.
You Deserve a Pre-cation
The smartest job perk you’ve never heard of.