(Continued from Page 7)
Or else ...
- What the House of Saud holds dear can be targeted:
—Oil: the old fields are defended by U.S. forces, and located in a mostly Shiite area
—Money: the Kingdom is in dire financial straits, its valuable assets invested in dollars, largely in the U.S.
—The Holy Places: let it be known that alternatives are being canvassed
- The Saudis are hated throughout the Arab world: lazy, overbearing, dishonest, corrupt
- If truly moderate regimes arise, the Wahhabi-Saudi nexus is pushed back into its extremist corner
- The Hashemites have greater legitimacy as Guardians of Mecca and Medina
Grand strategy for the Middle
• Iraq is the tactical pivot
• Saudi Arabia the strategic pivot
• Egypt the prize
Listen to Our January Music Roundup Beat the chill with our winter playlist, exclusively for Slate Plus members.
Is Snapchat Really Confusing, or Am I Just Old? A 32-year-old’s hopeless quest to understand America’s fastest-growing social app.
Another Data Point New England’s incredible ball security is not impossible, but also not meaningless.