(Continued from Page 7)
Or else ...
- What the House of Saud holds dear can be targeted:
—Oil: the old fields are defended by U.S. forces, and located in a mostly Shiite area
—Money: the Kingdom is in dire financial straits, its valuable assets invested in dollars, largely in the U.S.
—The Holy Places: let it be known that alternatives are being canvassed
- The Saudis are hated throughout the Arab world: lazy, overbearing, dishonest, corrupt
- If truly moderate regimes arise, the Wahhabi-Saudi nexus is pushed back into its extremist corner
- The Hashemites have greater legitimacy as Guardians of Mecca and Medina
Grand strategy for the Middle
• Iraq is the tactical pivot
• Saudi Arabia the strategic pivot
• Egypt the prize
If You Drop Your Air Conditioner Out the Window, the Only Thing That Matters Is Whether You Hurt Anyone
It's Not Just Josh Duggar—A String of Sex-Abuse Scandals Have Recently Rocked Christian Fundamentalism
What Happened at Slate This Week? Editorial assistant Rachel Gross on the best of Slate, from wedding debt to the evolution debate.
San Andreas Is a Crock But there’s a reason West Coast geologists are fixated on the “big one.”