(Continued from Page 5)
- 1973: Saudi Arabia unleashes the Oil Shock, absorbs immense flows of resources -- means
- 1978: Khomeiny challenges the Saudis' Islamic credentials, provoking a radicalization and world-wide spread of Wahhabism in response -- motive
- 1979-1989: the anti-Soviet Jihad gives life and strength to the Wahhabi putsch within Sunni Islam -- opportunity. The Taliban are the result
The impact on Saudi policy
- Wahhabism moves from Islam's lunatic fringe to center-stage -- its mission now extends world-wide
- Saudis launch a putsch within Sunni Islam
- Shift from pragmatic oil policy to promotion of radical Islam
- Establish Saudi as "the indispensable State" -- treasurers of radical, fundamentalist, terrorist groups
Saudis see themselves
- God placed the oil in the kingdom as a sign of divine approval
- Spread Wahhabism everywhere, but keep the power of the al-Saud undiminished
- Survive by creating a Wahhabi-friendly environment -- fundamentalist regimes -- throughout the Moslem world and beyond
The House of Saud today
- Saudi Arabia is central to the self-destruction of the Arab world and the chief vector of the Arab crisis and its outwardly-directed aggression
- The Saudis are active at every level of the terror chain, from planners to financiers, from cadre to foot-soldier, from ideologist to cheerleader
- Saudi Arabia supports our enemies and attacks our allies
- A daily outpouring of virulent hatred against the U.S. from Saudi media, "educational" institutions, clerics, officials -- Saudis tell us one thing in private, do the contrary in reality
Obama’s Middle East Gamble The president is trying to engage the troubled region on his own terms. Is that even possible?
Inside Higher Ed
No Funds for You The Department of Education withholds massive amounts of funding from “risky” colleges. It doesn’t have to tell us which ones.
What We Like Right Now Our favorite picks for the week of March 23, curated by Slate writers and editors.
Best Loss Ever A Duke-hating aficionado’s guide to the sweetest Blue Devils tournament defeats of all time.