(Continued from Page 5)
- 1973: Saudi Arabia unleashes the Oil Shock, absorbs immense flows of resources -- means
- 1978: Khomeiny challenges the Saudis' Islamic credentials, provoking a radicalization and world-wide spread of Wahhabism in response -- motive
- 1979-1989: the anti-Soviet Jihad gives life and strength to the Wahhabi putsch within Sunni Islam -- opportunity. The Taliban are the result
The impact on Saudi policy
- Wahhabism moves from Islam's lunatic fringe to center-stage -- its mission now extends world-wide
- Saudis launch a putsch within Sunni Islam
- Shift from pragmatic oil policy to promotion of radical Islam
- Establish Saudi as "the indispensable State" -- treasurers of radical, fundamentalist, terrorist groups
Saudis see themselves
- God placed the oil in the kingdom as a sign of divine approval
- Spread Wahhabism everywhere, but keep the power of the al-Saud undiminished
- Survive by creating a Wahhabi-friendly environment -- fundamentalist regimes -- throughout the Moslem world and beyond
The House of Saud today
- Saudi Arabia is central to the self-destruction of the Arab world and the chief vector of the Arab crisis and its outwardly-directed aggression
- The Saudis are active at every level of the terror chain, from planners to financiers, from cadre to foot-soldier, from ideologist to cheerleader
- Saudi Arabia supports our enemies and attacks our allies
- A daily outpouring of virulent hatred against the U.S. from Saudi media, "educational" institutions, clerics, officials -- Saudis tell us one thing in private, do the contrary in reality
Battered and Blue Police departments shouldn’t feel under siege. The public just wants better policing.
Don’t Sweat the Dodd-Frank Rollback Congress just gave Wall Street a win. It also opened the door for smarter, better financial reform.
What Happened at Slate This Week? Staff writer Lily Hay Newman shares what stories intrigued her at the magazine this week.
Santa Claus Is Coming to Town, Eventually His magic sleigh journey is highly inefficient. So we made him a better itinerary.
Squash vs. Baseball! Wrestling vs. Golf! Good riddance to the days when sports had to fight each other for Olympic survival.