(Continued from Page 4)
- The crisis has irreversibly spilled out of the region
- 9/11 was a symptom of the "overflow"
- The paroxysm is liable to last for several decades
- U.S. response will decisively influence the duration and outcome
The old partnership
- Once upon a time, there was a partnership between the U.S. and Saudi Arabia
- Partnerships, like alliances, are embodied in practices, ideas, policies, institutions, people -- which persist after the alliance has died
- An instable group: Since 1745, 58% of all rulers of the House of Saud have met a violent demise
- Wahhabism loathes modernity, capitalism, human rights, religious freedom, democracy, republics, an open society -- and practices the very opposite
- As long as enmity had no or little consequences outside the kingdom, the bargain between the House of Saud and the U.S. held
Means, motive, opportunity
View From Chicago
Why Do Judges and Politicians Flip-Flop? To investigate, Cass Sunstein and I conducted a series of surveys.
Storm a-Brewin’—Let’s Hit Trader Joe’s! Americans get way too excited about stocking up before a storm.
Dropped Balls The Patriots became nearly fumble-proof after a 2006 rule change backed by Tom Brady.