(Continued from Page 4)
- The crisis has irreversibly spilled out of the region
- 9/11 was a symptom of the "overflow"
- The paroxysm is liable to last for several decades
- U.S. response will decisively influence the duration and outcome
The old partnership
- Once upon a time, there was a partnership between the U.S. and Saudi Arabia
- Partnerships, like alliances, are embodied in practices, ideas, policies, institutions, people -- which persist after the alliance has died
- An instable group: Since 1745, 58% of all rulers of the House of Saud have met a violent demise
- Wahhabism loathes modernity, capitalism, human rights, religious freedom, democracy, republics, an open society -- and practices the very opposite
- As long as enmity had no or little consequences outside the kingdom, the bargain between the House of Saud and the U.S. held
Means, motive, opportunity
“One Has a Moral Responsibility to Disobey Unjust Laws” The Longform guide to open letters from MLK, Philip Roth, and others.
The American Horror Story: Freak Show Podcast, Episode 3 The “Edward Mordrake (Part 1)” edition.
Keepaway, on Three. Ready—Break! On his record-breaking touchdown pass, Peyton Manning couldn’t even leave the celebration to chance.