The Crisis of the Arab world
reaches a climax
- The tension between the Arab world and the modern world has reached a climax
- The Arab world's home-made problems overwhelm its ability to cope
- The crisis is consequently being exported to the rest of the world
How does change occur in the
- There is no agora, no public space for debating ideas, interests, policies
- The tribal group in power blocks all avenues of change, represses all advocates of change
- Plot, riot, murder, coup are the only available means to bring about political change
The continuation of politics by other
- In the Arab world, violence is not a continuation of politics by other means -- violence ispolitics, politics isviolence
- This culture of violence is the prime enabler of terrorism
- Terror as an accepted, legitimate means of carrying out politics, has been incubated for 30 years ...
The crisis cannot be contained to the
Arab world alone
TODAY IN SLATE
How Canada’s Shooting Tragedies Have Shaped Its Gun Control Politics
Where Ebola Lives Between Outbreaks
Gunman Killed Inside Canadian Parliament; Soldier Shot at National Monument Dies
Sleater-Kinney Was Once America’s Best Rock Band
Can it be again?
Paul Farmer: Up to 90 Percent of Ebola Patients Should Survive
Is he right?
“I’m Not a Scientist” Is No Excuse
Politicians brag about their ignorance while making ignorant decisions.
Driving in Circles
The autonomous Google car may never actually happen.