Last week, we solicited nominations for a Rod Blagojevich scandal-naming contest. The results are in, and suggestions fall into a few distinct categories:
- The ever-popular "-gate" suffix. Readers suggested "Blagogate," "Blagojegate," and, for those who suspect we don't know the full extent of the bribery, "Blo-gate." "BidderGate" is smart but risks confusion with the "guns and religion" fuss. Sadly, these and all other "-gates" were automatically eliminated. Per order of the National Political Scandal Nomenclature Task Force, the suffix has been retired.
- Random word merging. "Chicagovich" is a little clunky. "Illiseat" is clever, but maybe too much so. "Chiblago" is oddly inspired but seems better suited to the Broadway musical about the scandal than the scandal itself.
- Curse words. "Bleepgate" was a popular one and almost caused a reconsideration of the rule against -gates. Variations include "Motherbleepergate" and "(expletive deleted)gate"—a mouthful that would give us typists carpal tunnel.
Honorable mentions: "Blagerloo" captures the dramatic finality of it all. "Blaghorea" doubles as a commentary on the commentary. "Blago-smear" goes out to all the Blagojevich sympathizers in the house. And "Hairnet" immortalizes the only thing people will remember about the governor a decade from now: his pompadour.
Second runner-up: "Pay-Rod." Good merge of form and function. Doesn't require prior knowledge other than a passing familiarity with the New York Yankees.
First runner-up:"Coiffuror." A tribute to the man who has nothing to hide except, as Jon Stewart noted, "whatever is written on his forehead." (Context warning: Also sounds like a Frenchman's response to an inaudible verbal request from Hitler.)
And the winner is … "Blagola." Payola is synonymous with pay-to-play radio deals. Blagojevich is synonymous with pay-to-play Senate seat deals. Spread the word! (Submitted by William C. Spruiell)
TODAY IN SLATE
Justice Ginsburg’s Crucial Dissent in the Texas Voter ID Case
The Jarring Experience of Watching White Americans Speak Frankly About Race
How Facebook’s New Feature Could Come in Handy During a Disaster
The Most Ingenious Teaching Device Ever Invented
Sprawl, Decadence, and Environmental Ruin in Nevada
You Should Be Able to Sell Your Kidney
Or at least trade it for something.
- Texas Lab Worker on Cruise Tests Negative for Ebola as Dallas Hospital Apologizes
- Police Use Tear Gas to Break Up College Pumpkin Festival Turned Violent
- Racist Rancher Cliven Bundy Challenges Eric Holder in Bizarre Campaign Ad
- Supreme Court Allows Texas Law That Accepts Handgun Permits but not College IDs to Vote
An All-Female Mission to Mars
As a NASA guinea pig, I verified that women would be cheaper to launch than men.