No. 486: "Zanan-o-Gram"
In the current issue of the Iranian magazine Zanan, Shahla Sherkat lists five things she likes about sigheh—
1. Relations between the young become freer.
2. People can satisfy their sexual needs.
3. Sex becomes depoliticized.
4. The young use up energy they'd expend in street demonstrations.
5. Society's obsession with virginity will disappear.
What is sigheh?
Send your answer by 6 p.m. ET Thursday to email@example.com.
Monday's Question (No. 485)—"Anglo File":
British Home Secretary Jack Straw praises it as something that will "protect the weak." Conservative Shadow Home Secretary Ann Widdecombe denounces it as "a mechanism for all sorts of nonsense." Today the English got something that we Americans have enjoyed for more than 200 years. What?
"Zsa Zsa Gabor."—Larry Amoros
"Decent Mexican food."—Greg Diamond
"The electric chair."—Katha Pollitt and Mark Wade
"Petulant Italian-American Supreme Court justices."—Adam Bonin
Randy Cohen used to write Slate's "News Quiz." His most recent book—oh, like you don't know.