Slate, the Industry Standard, and washingtonpost.com join forces to examine the effect of the Internet on Campaign 2000.
10. Number of nonpartisan political Web sites that made Nielsen NetRatings' traffic count cutoff of 51,000 daily unique visitors: 1
11. Number of major newspaper stories about online media's coverage of the two party conventions: 60
12. Number of Internet media stories about print coverage of the Democratic National Convention: 0
13. Percentage of Internet users in a sample of approximately 100 who logged on to find convention coverage on Day 1 of the Democratic National Convention, and the average time they spent watching online: just more than 1 percent; 10 minutes
14. Number of people in the sample of 100 who went to a convention chat room on Day 1 of the Democratic National Convention: 0
15. Number of speakers at the Democratic National Convention who said the word "Internet" in their speeches: 11
16. Number of speakers at the Democratic National Convention who said "new economy" in their speeches: 3
17. Length of Vice President Al Gore's speech: 44 minutes, 5,740 words
18. Length of President Clinton's speech: 42 minutes, 4,201 words
19. Length of Tipper Gore's speech: 13 minutes (including video), 322 words (excluding video)
20. Length of first lady Hillary Clinton's speech: 18 minutes, 1,714 words
TODAY IN SLATE
Meet the New Bosses
How the Republicans would run the Senate.
The Government Is Giving Millions of Dollars in Electric-Car Subsidies to the Wrong Drivers
Scotland Is Just the Beginning. Expect More Political Earthquakes in Europe.
Cheez-Its. Ritz. Triscuits.
Why all cracker names sound alike.
Friends Was the Last Purely Pleasurable Sitcom
This Whimsical Driverless Car Imagines Transportation in 2059
- Protesters Take to the Streets to Sound Alarm on Climate Change in New York, Across the World
- Knife-Carrying White House Jumper is Vet who Feared “Atmosphere Was Collapsing”
- North Korea: American Sentenced to Hard Labor Wanted to Become “Second Snowden”
- Almost One in Four Americans Support Idea of Splitting From the Union
Did America Get Fat by Drinking Diet Soda?
A high-profile study points the finger at artificial sweeteners.