Slate, the Industry Standard, and washingtonpost.com join forces to examine the effect of the Internet on Campaign 2000.
Most political pundits consider July an unofficial vacation from the presidential race, a time to recharge their batteries before the national conventions and the final race in November. On the Web, however, the battle for voters' hearts and minds continues unabated. As always, a look at the numbers helps take the pulse of the presidential campaign.
1. Number of unique visitors to Al Gore's official Web site in June, according to the Gore campaign: 321,000
2. Number of unique visitors to Al Gore's official Web site in June, according to PCData Online: 69,000
3. Number of unique visitors to the official Web site of Ralph Nader, Green Party candidate and thorn in the side of Al Gore, in June, according to his campaign: 192,692
4. Number of unique visitors to Nader's official Web site in June, according to PCData Online: 81,000.
5. Number of times that George W. Bush quoted W.E.B. Du Bois in a July 10 speech at the NAACP annual convention: 1
6. Number of times that Al Gore quoted W.E.B. Du Bois in his July 12 speech at the NAACP annual convention: 1
7. Percentage of the national African-American vote that Al Gore is expected to win in 2000 presidential election: 71
8. Percentage of the national African-American vote that George W. Bush is expected to win in the 2000 presidential election: 17
9. Number of photos on George Bush's Web site featuring Bush with African-Americans: 1
TODAY IN SLATE
The End of Pregnancy
And the inevitable rise of the artificial womb.
Doctor Tests Positive for Ebola in New York City
How a Company You’ve Never Heard of Took Control of the Entire Porn Industry
The Hot New Strategy for Desperate Democrats
Blame China for everything.
The Questions That Michael Brown’s Autopsies Can’t Answer
Kiev Used to Be an Easygoing Place
Now it’s descending into madness.
Don’t Just Sit There
How to be more productive during your commute.