It's Election Day, which means Map the Candidates breaks down how much time the candidates spent in the states going to the polls. The takeaway: Hillary Clinton has been packing far more on-the-record events into her schedule than her opponent. This, despite an emphasis on smaller venues for Obama.
We should note that over the last few weeks, Obama's campaign has stopped announcing full details about some of his campaign events. As a result, several stops didn't make it into the MTC database, which weighs down Obama's average stops per day.
Without further ado:
Hillary Clinton: 37 stops in the state, 14 days spent there (2.64 stops per day).
Barack Obama: 25 stops in the state, 16 days spent there (1.56 stops per day).
Hillary Clinton: 24 stops in the state, 10 days spent there (2.40 stops per day).
Barack Obama: 15 stops in the state, nine days spent there (1.66 stops per day).
We've updated Map the Candidates' look to offer you even more information than before. Click here to explore the country's political landscape, and be sure to tap into the candidates' and states' statistics pages by clicking the popout symbols next to their names.
Map the Candidates uses the candidates' public schedules to keep track of their comings and goings. A quick primer on your new election toolbox:
- Do you want to know who spent the most time in Iowa or New Hampshire last month? Play with the timeline sliders above the map to customize the amount of time displayed.
- Care most about who visited your home state? Then zoom in on it or type a location into the "geosearch" box below the map.
- Choose which candidates you want to follow with the check boxes on to the right of the map. If you only want to see the front-runners, then uncheck all of the fringe candidates. Voilà! You're left with the cream of the crop's travels.
- Follow the campaign trail virtually with MTC's news feed. Every day YouTube video and articles from local papers will give you a glimpse of what stump speeches really look and sound like. Just click the arrow next to the headline to get started.
- Take a closer look at candidates by clicking on their names to the right of the map. You'll get the lowdown on their travels, media coverage, and policy positions.
Click here to start using Map the Candidates.
TODAY IN SLATE
Here’s Where We Stand With Ebola
Even experienced international disaster responders are shocked at how bad it’s gotten.
It’s Legal for Obama to Bomb Syria Because He Says It Is
Divestment Is Fine but Mostly Symbolic. There’s a Better Way for Universities to Fight Climate Change.
I Stand With Emma Watson on Women’s Rights
Even though I know I’m going to get flak for it.
It Is Very Stupid to Compare Hope Solo to Ray Rice
In Defense of HR
Startups and small businesses shouldn’t skip over a human resources department.