Test your knowledge of the Jose Padilla trial.
Posted Friday, May 18, 2007, at 6:09 PM
The Jose Padilla trial opened this week in a Miami courthouse. In all the wild legal hoopla over fired federal prosecutors and Paris Hilton's probation violation, you may not be totally up to speed on the trial of the "known terrorist" at the core of "an unfolding terrorist plot," as then-Attorney General John Ashcroft once described him. But thus far the trial has been one heck of a show, full of intrigue, disguise, and green vegetables. Test your knowledge of it with our handy Padillapalooza quiz.
1. Jose Padilla has been accused by the Bush administration of being:
2. Notwithstanding these terrible crimes, Jose Padilla is currently facing charges of:
3. How do you pronounce Padilla, anyhow?
a) Rhymes with "tortilla"
b) Rhymes with "vanilla"
c) First a, then b, then a again
4. The key piece of evidence in the Padilla trial will be:
5. Hundreds of hours of taped phone calls between Padilla and his confederates will reveal to jurors that Padilla was zealously engaged in an explicit plot to:
Rachael Larimore is Slate's managing editor.
Dahlia Lithwick writes about the courts and the law for Slate.