5. In the early '90s, when Leno was the permanent guest host of Tonight and CBS was wooing him, he worried that it would look bad to compete against Carson, that to do so would contradict his "carefully assembled persona of the all-around good guy, straight shooter, and network team player." Contrast that all-around good guy with the fellow bludgeoned by Jimmy Kimmel on his own show last night to the hearty applause of his own audience.
4. When it seemed possible that Letterman might unseat Leno from Tonight, Leno consciously used monologue jokes about his relationship with NBC as part of a PR campaign, painting himself as a victim. Last week, when he joked, "What does NBC stand for? Never Believe Your Contract," he was actually stealing 17-year-old material from himself.
3. Here's a fun quote to taunt Leno with, Meet the Press-style, recycled by Carter from a piece that ran in the Times on Dec. 23, 1992: "Am I crazy? I feel like a guy who has bought a car from somebody, painted it, fixed it up and made it look nice, and then the guy comes back and says he promised to sell it to his brother-in-law."
2. "Mr. Leno turned to espionage to monitor his status within NBC when, in late 1992, the network considered dumping him in favor of Mr. Letterman. He hid in a closet to eavesdrop on a conference call that would decide his fate."
1. Conan should have seen it coming. When, 17 years ago, he had all but inked the deal to take over Late Night, the network weasels blew their own deadline to make a past-the-last-minute play for Garry Shandling, the only comedian who's ever made up fiction stranger than the late-night truth.
TODAY IN SLATE
Blacks Don’t Have a Corporal Punishment Problem
Americans do. But when blacks exhibit the same behaviors as others, it becomes part of a greater black pathology.
I Bought the Huge iPhone. I’m Already Thinking of Returning It.
Scotland Is Just the Beginning. Expect More Political Earthquakes in Europe.
Students Aren’t Going to College Football Games as Much Anymore
And schools are getting worried.
Two Damn Good, Very Different Movies About Soldiers Returning From War
Lifetime Didn’t Think the Steubenville Rape Case Was Dramatic Enough
So they added a little self-immolation.
The Most Terrifying Thing About Ebola
The disease threatens humanity by preying on humanity.