2. Balls and Other Sports-Related Things. If you can throw it, bounce it, kick it, or whack it, chances are someone has tied it to a tooth. We'll begin with the national pastime, baseball. (The boy in full uniform is a nice touch.):
You can also use a football:
Or a basketball:
Or a soccer ball:
Or a tennis ball:
Or a golf ball:
Hockey doesn't use a ball, but no worries—a puck works just as well:
3. Things That Fly. Humans have always been fascinated by flight—all the more so, it appears, when the flying object in question is connected to a tooth. First up is a paper airplane:
Next we have a toy plane:
A Nerf dart works well:
As does a bow and arrow:
And surely you knew this was coming—a model rocket:
4. Living Things. From sled dogs to plow mules, animals have long been deployed to provide the power for certain tasks—a list of tasks to which we can now add tooth extraction. Let's begin with man's best friend, the family dog:
Cats are notoriously persnickety when it comes to doing as they're told, but here's one that managed to perform more or less on cue:
A rabbit? Sure, why not:
But why press a pet into service when a sibling can do the job just as well:
* * *
There's more, but you get the gist. Whatever else you can say about all these methods, they've no doubt made life a lot more interesting for the Tooth Fairy.
The funny thing, though, is that all of these methods are unnecessary. "There's no need to do any of this, because the baby tooth will fall out on its own," said Dr Rubinstein, my dentist. "But often it's something that makes the parents feel better."
TODAY IN SLATE
Meet the New Bosses
How the Republicans would run the Senate.
The Government Is Giving Millions of Dollars in Electric-Car Subsidies to the Wrong Drivers
Scotland Is Just the Beginning. Expect More Political Earthquakes in Europe.
Cheez-Its. Ritz. Triscuits.
Why all cracker names sound alike.
Friends Was the Last Purely Pleasurable Sitcom
This Whimsical Driverless Car Imagines Transportation in 2059
- Protesters Take to the Streets to Sound Alarm on Climate Change in New York, Across the World
- Knife-Carrying White House Jumper is Vet who Feared “Atmosphere Was Collapsing”
- North Korea: American Sentenced to Hard Labor Wanted to Become “Second Snowden”
- Almost One in Four Americans Support Idea of Splitting From the Union
Did America Get Fat by Drinking Diet Soda?
A high-profile study points the finger at artificial sweeteners.