Black people’s disdain for “proper English” and academic achievement is a myth.
Hong Kong’s Protesters Are Ridiculously Polite. That’s What Scares Beijing So Much.
- Touring a $45,000-a-Night Hotel Room Andrew W.K. on I Get Wet and the 33 ⅓ Series
- The End of Deodorant Streaks Stop Throwing Your Vegetable Trimmings Away
- Why Do Some People Need More Sleep Than Others? How Men Talk About Relationships in Rom-Coms: While Playing Sports
- Philip Gourevitch on Air Strikes Against ISIS What Happens When a Man Drinks an Entire Bottle of Whiskey in 13 Seconds?
Mixed Feelings About a Mixtape
My boyfriend gave me a mixtape, but all the songs are weird or depressing.
The Lonely Teetotaler
Etiquette for Loaning Your Phone
The Many Faces of Texas
Violence, Love, and Hope: Growing Up in the Bronx in the 1980s
Are These Models Twins? A Photographic Exploration of Doppelgangers.
Grease, Sweat, and Muscle: The Freedom of American Car Culture
Competitive Animals and the People Who Handle Them
How to Genetically Modify a Tomato and Other Things We Eat
The Love Story Between a Squirrel and a Horse, Told in an Adorably Surreal Photo Essay
A Rope Mistress, the Rubber Master, Sadomasochist Sisters: Portraits in Kink
- The Gist Green Apple Besting Lime in Candy Flavors Everywhere
- Culture Gabfest Is Jeff Koons Fascinating or a Fraud?
- The Gist Andy Warhol’s Awkward Sex Films
- The Gist Think Louisiana Is Shaped Like a Boot? Not Anymore.
“Emotional abuse is inherent in a lifestyle that teaches that women are so ill-equipped to make decisions that they need to always have a man, either father or husband, controlling their every waking minute, lest they develop a ‘Jezebel spirit.’” Escaping the Extreme Christian Fundamentalism of “Quiverfull”
“Yes, there’s a cultural component to how black parents explain and rationalize corporal punishment, but that’s true of all groups. Despite this, the national conversation on corporal punishment and abuse has treated it as a black problem, not an American one.” Blacks Don’t Have a Corporal Punishment Problem