Beyond Energy Efficiency
We’re not just reducing demand for electricity—we’re destroying it.
Putin Is Losing Badly in Eastern Ukraine—but the War Is Far From Over
Whole Foods Now Sees Walmart as a Very Serious Threat
Jul 31, 11:46 AM - JORDAN WEISSMANN - 4M to read Here’s Why America Should Consider Becoming a Tax Haven
Jul 31, 11:44 AM - REBECCA ONION - 2M to read A Post-WWI "Hunger Map of Europe," Aimed at the Hearts of American Kids
Jul 31, 11:42 AM - DANA STEVENS - 4M to read Bradley Cooper Gives One of His Best-Ever Performances as a Trash-Talking Space Raccoon
Jul 31, 11:35 AM - DAVID ROSENBERG - 2M to read Hallucinatory Portraits That Rethink the Ways We Look at Women
Jul 31, 11:00 AM - DANIELLE KEHL - 3M to read How the NSA Hurts Our Economy, Cybersecurity, and Foreign Policy
Jul 31, 10:57 AM - AHMIR "QUESTLOVE" THOMPSON - 4M to read Questlove: Remembering Richard Nichols, The Roots’ Longtime Manager and Mentor
Jul 31, 10:09 AM - BEN MATHIS-LILLEY - 1M to read Peace Corps Pulls Volunteers From Countries Involved in Ebola Outbreak
Jul 31, 10:05 AM - DAVID WEIGEL - 2M to read Rand Paul Wants MSNBC “Hacks and Cranks” to Apologize to Him on TV “for 24 Hours”
Jul 31, 9:33 AM - REBECCA SCHUMAN - 2M to read This Brilliant Amazon Parody Proves That Germans Really Do Have a Sense of Humor
Jul 31, 9:33 AM - DAN KOIS - 1M to read It’s Time to Make Up for Thousands of Years of Giving Kids the Dad’s Last Name
- Proof It’s Time to Give Up Handshakes for Fist Bumps More Mysterious Craters Found in Siberia: What Are They?
- This Amazing Camera Dome Freezes Memories in 3-D How to Tell an Animal Is Domesticated Just by Looking at It
- Comet Impact on Jupiter Convinced NASA to Track Near-Earth Objects A Futuristic 3-D Camera Studio to Freeze Memories in Time
- The Mystery of a Piercing Sound From the Deep Pacific When Are Americans Happiest With Their Appearance?
My Mother Is a Catfish
My mom is pretending to be a 28-year-old woman on a dating site.
Finding Mr. Right Too Soon
Nothing to Hide
The Scarlet List
Hallucinatory Portraits That Rethink the Ways We Look at Women
Bringing an Abandoned Canadian Town’s Houses Back Home With These Haunting Photographs
How Asian Families Learn to Welcome a LGBTQ Child’s Partner
The Sights and Sounds of Asia’s Incredible Markets
Take a Tour of Tokyo in Miniature
Combining Images Across Time and Place to Tell a Single Story
Are These Photos Staged? Does It Matter?
The Way We Eat Dinner Now
- Mom and Dad Are Fighting It’s Time to Make Up for Thousands of Years of Giving Kids the Dad’s Last Name
- The Gist How Mike Pesca’s Citi Bike Is Like a Creamy Salad Dressing
- Hang Up And Listen Mike Pesca and Mike Francesa Debate Whether Michael Sam Is a “Distraction”
- Culture Gabfest Of Course Goodnight Moon Is a Masterpiece!
Inside Higher Ed
Does Duolingo Pass the Test? Carnegie Mellon partners with the language-learning app to make it good enough to prep students for the TOEFL.
The XX Factor
Putting More Restrictions on Abortions Doesn't Magically Inspire Women to Embrace Their Pregnancies
Slate Voice: “Does This Make Me Sound Insecure?” Listen to Katy Waldman read her most popular article from the month of July.
We, All of the People Five lessons from Iceland’s failed experiment in creating a crowdsourced constitution.
Who’s Behind the New Washington Football Team Website? The team wants you to think there's a grass-roots movement in support of its offensive nickname. The site’s source code suggests otherwise.