The Melting Pot Is Broken
How slowing down immigration could help us build a more cohesive and humane society.
Our War Against ISIS Is Turning Into a Quagmire
This Year’s Judicial Campaign Ads Will Make You Feel Filthy and Sad
Oct 31, 6:44 PM - LILY HAY NEWMAN - 1M to read Intel Owes You $15 If Your Computer 14 Years Ago Had a Pentium 4 Processor
Oct 31, 6:32 PM - BEN MATHIS-LILLEY - 4M to read The Resignation of Michigan’s Villainous Athletic Director Is Why We Like College Sports
Oct 31, 5:41 PM - REIHAN SALAM - 8M to read Let’s Bring Back the American Melting Pot by Slowing Down Immigration
Oct 31, 5:39 PM - LAURA BRADLEY - 3M to read Everything You Need to Know About the Black Panther, Marvel’s New Lead Superhero
Oct 31, 5:26 PM - LILY HAY NEWMAN - 2M to read Law Enforcement Can Make You Unlock Devices With Your Fingerprint in Virginia
Oct 31, 5:08 PM - ALISON GRISWOLD - 1M to read Are Starbucks Customers Over the Pumpkin Spice Latte?
Oct 31, 5:06 PM - A.J. MCCARTHY - 1M to read Finally, a Drone That Saves Lives Rather Than Take Them
Oct 31, 5:02 PM - KRISTA LANGLOIS - 4M to read Alaska’s “Unscientific and Unethical” Wolf Hunting Is a Big Middle Finger to the Feds
Oct 31, 4:09 PM - R. L. HASEN & D. LITHWICK - 2M to read These Scary Election Ads Destroy Any Lingering Confidence in the Judicial Branch
Oct 31, 4:00 PM - COURTNEY DUCKWORTH - 2M to read Here’s Everything We Know So Far About the Coen Brothers’ Next Movie
- A Brief History of Satanism “How Did I Get Inside You?”: Gay Subtext in Franklin & Bash
- Why Did Our Ancestors Have Better Teeth? What Would Two Floridas Look Like?
- Why Do Some Lesbians Dress Like Men? All the Zany Ways Jason Comes Back to Life in the Friday the 13th Movies
- Can You Really Assemble Ikea’s New Furniture in Five Minutes? Bill Murray, Gentleman Among Comedians
The Right to Say I Don’t
The law finally allows me to marry my boyfriend—only he doesn’t want to.
Ex-Wife Photo Purge
Too Hot to Hold
Degree of Difficulty
These Are America’s Spookiest Homes
These Machines Might Save Your Life
From Outrageous Uniforms to Shoulder Calluses: Life in a Marching Band
The Secret Dual Lives of People Living With Mental Illness
What Happens When a Photographer Joins the Circus
What Different Countries Look at for Target Practice
Getting Intimate With San Francisco’s Drag Scene Pioneers
Seeing the Familiar in Black and White
- The Gist Should Two Families Buy a House Together? Emily Yoffe’s Advice.
- Live at Politics & Prose Katha Pollitt Discusses Pro: Reclaiming Abortion Rights, Her New Book
- Political Gabfest Is “Partyism” the Last Acceptable Form of Prejudice?
- The Gist What It’s Like to Direct a Gaunt, Barely Blinking Jake Gyllenhaal
“We Are Here” The new Museum of the History of Polish Jews is a testament to people everywhere who have fought to exist.
You, The Gabfest, and a Hotel Room Win tickets to attend a taping of the Political Gabfest, live from David’s Chicago hotel room.
We Will Always Have New Epidemics Human behavior is the biggest variable in any outbreak.