No One Is Stoking an Anti-Police Movement
America just wants better policing.
Many Mass Murderers, Like the Brooklyn Cop Killer, Start by Harming Women
Why Have Air-Sick Bags Become So Uncommon? Are Passengers Vomiting Less?
How TV Changed in 2014
Drinking While Breast-Feeding Is Fine
There’s no reason to pump and dump.
- Felon Suspected in Florida Police Killing Allegedly Shot Officer Responding to Noise Complaint
- New York Police Shooter Was Drifter With Extensive Criminal History
- NY Police Union: Blood of Murdered Officers is on Hands of Mayor, Protesters
- Sony: We Will Release The Interview (Just Don’t Know When or How)
Air Horns, Weather Puppies, and DIY Emojis
Slate’s favorite smartphone apps of 2014.
Pumping and Dumping Is Pointless. Drinking While Breast-Feeding Is Fine.
Slate’s Favorite Smartphone Apps of 2014
Dec 22, 12:01 PM - L. NAYLOR & R. NAYLOR The Overachieving Parent’s Guide for Fooling Your Kids About Santa
Dec 22, 12:00 PM - REBECCA ONION - 1M to read Blind Kids' Experiences at the Early-20th-Century Museum of Natural History, in Photos
Dec 22, 12:00 PM - AISHA HARRIS - 2M to read The Year Network TV Finally Let Us See Natural Black Hair
Dec 22, 11:52 AM - BEN MATHIS-LILLEY - 1M to read Felon Suspected in Florida Police Killing Allegedly Shot Officer Responding to Noise Complaint
Dec 22, 11:43 AM - KATY WALDMAN - 4M to read Is It Kosher to Talk About the "Pot Calling the Kettle Black"?
Dec 22, 11:11 AM - STEVEN TWEEDIE - 2M to read Sony Hack Results in the “Best Week by Far” for Confidential Messaging Apps
Dec 22, 11:00 AM - E. ALEX JUNG - 3M to read How Chris Rock’s Top Five Gets Undercut by an Ill-Advised Gay Joke
Dec 22, 10:49 AM - NANCY LEONG - 4M to read Mass Killers Often Start by Stalking, Assaulting, or Killing Women
Dec 22, 10:35 AM - DANIEL GIFFORD - 5M to read There Were No Selfies in the Early 1900s. But There Were Postcards.
Dec 22, 10:27 AM - JULIANA JIMÉNEZ JARAMILLO - 2M to read Colombia May Finally Be on the Verge of Peace
- The Amazing Chemical Reaction When Sperm Meets an Egg Stephen Colbert’s Best Musical Moments on The Colbert Report
- Violence in Holiday Movies Watch the Navy's New Laser Destroy Things
- Does Alcohol Actually Warm Up Your Body? Nifty Things You Didn’t Know Your iPhone 6 Could Do
- We Gave O.T. Genasis’ “CoCo” the Seasonal Music Video It Deserves How Dinosaurs Really Walked
Dear Prudence Live Chat
For Dec. 22, 2014.
Can’t Take a Joke
Unhelpful Holiday Sister-in-Law
I Saw Mommy Being Santa Claus
Fit to Be Untied
Finding Inspiration in a Clowder of Feral Cats
Hip-Hop Hustle in the South’s Small Towns
How a French Photographer Captured a Seminal Period in American History
These Beautiful Old Books Are a Bibliophile’s Dream
What It’s Like to Be a U.S. Marshal
What Hollywood Movie Sets Look Like When the Camera Stops Rolling
Some of the World’s Coolest Animals Don’t Have Spines
When Celebrity Photography Was Cool
- Slate Money Slate Money on the Russian Ruble, Dodd-Frank, the Sony Hack, and Cuba
- The Gist Why These Two Daily Show Writers and Their Friend Stuart Dabble in Podcasting
- Live at Politics & Prose Jesmyn Ward Discusses Men We Reaped, Her Gripping Memoir
- Political Gabfest Why Aren’t Republican Presidential Hopefuls Scared of Jeb Bush?
What Happened at Slate This Week? Staff writer Lily Hay Newman shares what stories intrigued her at the magazine this week.
Why Climate Change Isn’t a Sputnik Moment Military technology can’t innovate us out of this one.
Ronald Reagan Is Kobe Bryant The best NBA analogues for George Washington, Warren G. Harding, Barack Obama, and every other president.