How to Read the Waves
Will there be a Republican wave? That depends. A guide to reading the political currents.
How Republicans Turned a Democratic Stronghold Into the Newest Red State
Should the Royals’ Alex Gordon Have Tried to Dash Home to Tie Game 7 of the World Series?
Oct 30, 10:39 AM - BEN MATHIS-LILLEY - 1M to read Sweden To Become Largest Western European Country to Recognize Palestine
Oct 30, 10:26 AM - LEAH VELLEMAN - 3M to read What Ghostbusters Tells Us About the Hidden Rules of Conversation
Oct 30, 10:18 AM - DANA STEVENS - 5M to read I Snickered at Interstellar, but I Never Stopped Staring in Wonder
Oct 30, 10:08 AM - TODD VERNON - 3M to read The First Years of Your Startup Are Nonstop Work, Nonstop Worry
Oct 30, 7:30 AM - PHIL PLAIT - 1M to read Chinese Spacecraft Takes Iconic Photo of the Moon and Earth
Oct 30, 6:00 AM - EMILY YOFFE - 6M to read Help! The Law Finally Allows Me to Marry My Boyfriend—but He Doesn’t Want To.
Oct 30, 5:01 AM - M. BECKEL & D. LEVINTHAL - 3M to read We Are About to Reach 1 Million U.S. Senate Ads
Oct 30, 2:08 AM - A.J. MCCARTHY - 2M to read Should the Royals’ Alex Gordon Have Tried to Dash Home to Tie Game 7 of the World Series?
Oct 29, 9:48 PM - JOHN DICKERSON - 4M to read Will There Be a Republican Wave? A Guide to Reading the Currents.
Oct 29, 9:34 PM - ELLIOT HANNON - 2M to read The Inventor of the Game Operation Now Needs Help Affording an Operation of His Own
Oct 29, 9:18 PM - SHARAN SHETTY - 1M to read Watch the Simple, Beautiful Music Video for Sharon Van Etten’s “Your Love Is Killing Me”
Oct 29, 8:58 PM - CARL WILSON - 17M to read Is Taylor Swift’s Navel the Tesseract, and Other Deep Questions About 1989
- Can You Really Assemble Ikea’s New Furniture in Five Minutes? Bill Murray, Gentleman Among Comedians
- Terry Anderson Recounts Seven Years as a Hezbollah Hostage Homer-Inspiring Mountain Fire, Explained
- You Know What Your Bathroom Really Needs? Who Are They Gonna Call for the All-Female Ghostbusters? We Have Some Suggestions.
- Miz Cracker’s Guide to Being a Queen on Halloween A Brief History of Satanism
The Right to Say I Don’t
The law finally allows me to marry my boyfriend—only he doesn’t want to.
Ex-Wife Photo Purge
Too Hot to Hold
Degree of Difficulty
From Outrageous Uniforms to Shoulder Calluses: Life in a Marching Band
The Secret Dual Lives of People Living With Mental Illness
What Happens When a Photographer Joins the Circus
What Different Countries Look at for Target Practice
Getting Intimate With San Francisco’s Drag Scene Pioneers
Seeing the Familiar in Black and White
Do All U.S. Presidents Look the Same? What About Japan’s Prime Ministers?
Same-Sex Couples at Home With Themselves in 1980s America
“It Was Clear How They Wanted Us to Vote” How corporations coerce their employees to pick the “right” candidates.
- DoubleX Gabfest Is Gamergate Now Cynically Exploiting Sexism?
- The Gist Divided Government Can’t Untangle Washington Gridlock, but Maybe Independents Can
- Culture Gabfest You Should Be Watching the Beguiling New Show Jane the Virgin
- The Gist Bumpkin-ization on the Midterm Campaign Trail
Behind the Scenes
The Great Writing Vs. Talking Debate Is it harder to be a good writer or a good talker?